Skip to main content

Something that differentiates introverts from others

Woman awake at night

Would you describe yourself as an early riser or a night owl?

If it's the latter, you're most likely an introvert -- or at least you identify with them on this front.

Indeed, I've yet to meet an introvert who doesn't go to sleep late at night. 

As I've gotten older, this habit has regulated a bit. But I've never been one to call it a night at 9 p.m. like some of my friends do.

So what exactly drives introverts to be nocturnal beings?

For starters, introverts love their solitude -- it's how they recharge. And what better time to do it than when everyone else is catching some Z's?

Nothing spells peace and quiet like total darkness (or dim lighting) accompanied by the sounds of nature or air conditioning. 

Then again, there are times when I like listening to music at these late hours. The chances of being interrupted by someone or something are slim to nil. 

Some find it odd that I happen to enjoy reading while listening to music. The tunes far from distract me; in fact, they help me get more reading done than I otherwise would. 

I suppose it's similar to music helping me and others put in longer, more vigorous workouts at the gym. Music acts as something of a motivator, a catalyst if you will. It pumps me up and precludes that sense of boredom that sometimes comes over us when it gets too quiet.

But I digress. Introverts normally associate the daytime with an overload of stimuli, from incessant texts to phone calls from pushy clients. It's nice to be able to dial it down a bit as we near the late-night/early morning hours.

It's not to say that we can't enjoy pockets of quiet in the morning or afternoon, perhaps while taking a walk at dusk or when we're out to lunch. 

But we certainly feel more in control when the kids are asleep and there aren't any meetings to fuss over. 

Granted, I don't recommend skimping on sleep. We all need it to function properly, and finding oneself drowsy while behind the wheel or at work can have unfortunate results. 

That being said, if you wish to stay up at night, you're going to have to find a way to work in a nap or two throughout the day, whether during lunch or as soon as you get home. 

Whether you look forward to late nights in order to read, talk on the phone in privacy, or just unwind in silence, there's no denying that many introverts find it an essential -- and often their favorite -- stretch of the day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introverts, find your voice -- and let it be heard!

Introverts are, by their very nature, unassuming.  The last thing we want to do is draw attention to ourselves, whether it be promoting our accomplishments at work in hopes of landing a promotion, talking up our best traits on a blind date, or speaking up when on the receiving end of someone's unseemly behavior. But finding our inner voice is imperative. We must never let anyone -- and that includes ourselves -- silence it. It doesn't mean you have to turn surly, treating others like they're beneath you.  But you should never let yourself become anyone's doormat either. You're your own chief advocate. If you don't stand up for yourself, no one will.  Never feel too embarrassed or guilty to speak honestly and respectfully in support of your goals, values, and beliefs.  I'm not saying you need to become a masterful public speaker, or that you should pretend to be a Know-It-All.  Instead, what I'm saying is never to let anyone suppress your voice. You have

Do introverts always want to be alone?

It's a common misconception that introverts want to be left alone all the time. Sure, we're not as prone as extroverts to becoming lonely and irritable in our own company, but that doesn't mean we avoid social interactions like the plague. We like to socialize, only in smaller doses than our more extroverted peers.  Here's how to keep us from exhausting our energy reserves: 1. Allow us small breaks to disconnect every now and then . Don't take offense to our wanting to go for a walk or take a nap. Perhaps we're drained after spending the day in drawn-out meetings.  2. A stampede of people? No, thanks.  Keep it to a small group of no more than 5 to 10 people, if possible. Introverts feel far more in their element when they can engage in one-on-one conversation. For us, more people usually translates to small talk on steroids. Needless to say, there aren't many things we loathe more than mindless chit-chat. 3. Don't block the exits. Heavy noise and commoti

My bumpy road to discovering I am an introvert

From an early age, I knew there was something about me -- my personality, my temperament -- that differentiated me from my peers. I just didn't know what it was. I sensed I was more retiring, less hungry for attention, and more at ease in solitude than most people.  Now that I'm an adult and comfortable in my introversion, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm proud of my uniqueness, and every introvert on this page ought to be as well.  That isn't to say the road to self-awareness has been an easy one.  Whether at school or work, I've lost count of the number of people over the years who've either questioned or criticized my quiet, unassuming disposition.  In the workplace, supervisors and co-workers have pulled no punches with their biting sarcasm, saying things like "Hey, keep it down over here. You're too loud!" For whatever reason, it makes some folks uneasy when there's someone at work who keeps to themselves. They might suspect they&